The Dungeon

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Dungeon

Post  Dungeon Master on 2008-06-11, 10:11 pm

Lizard creatures called kobolds attacked the local baron while he was out hunting. He escaped, but the monsters robbed him of his ring, the symbol of his power. Then they scattered into the wilderness. The baron offered a reward of 300 gold pieces to anyone who brings the ring back to him.

You are brave adventurers, and you've heard that kobolds were sighted near some old ruins. The ruins were once an alchemist's secret laboratory, and rumor has it that the alchemist's chambers lead to an ancient underground dungeon. No one has seen the alchemist for many years, and some say that he was killed by monsters that came from the dungeon.

You adventurers have formed an adventuring party to investigate the ruins. Deep in the forest, you have come to a cliff, and in the cliff is an entryway cut into the stone.

(DM's Notes: Before you go into the cliff remember that Dwarves can see in the dark, but humans, halflings, and elves can't. One of your characters will need to have a light of some kind, such as a torch or light spell.)


Last edited by Dungeon Master on 2008-06-13, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dungeon Master
Admin

Posts : 20
Join date : 2008-06-09

View user profile http://therpgsite.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dungeon

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-06-12, 8:07 pm

Regdar approaches the entryway, and risks a peek inside.

"Seems very dark in there", he says. "Let me light one of my torches."

Said that, he puts his backpack on the ground, takes out a torch, and starts rummaging through it in search of his flint and steel.

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

((I'm sorry DM, I know I promised to post last night!!)) Ainra, Self-Appointed Sorceress

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-13, 9:38 am

Ainra made her way through the forest slowly, taking the time to watch where she placed her feet and keeping an eye on her surroundings. All the while she mumbled to herself, trying not to talk herself out of it.

"They're just large lizards, really, and from what I've heard the Baron doesn't deserve to have his ring back, but if it'll cost him 300 gold coins it could well be worth it... And you can't back out now, you have a party waiting, you're obligated to help them..."

Just as she was wondering if she could find enough coin to pay some one to go in her place, she came to a vast cliff with some sort of passage cut into it. Outside stood a human man rummaging through his pack, so she decided it would be the best time to take her monolog internal.

She tried to hide her worries behind a smile and approached him, hoping he wouldn't be like the last human she worked with. Time to get this over with...

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lidda, the Unseen

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-13, 9:47 am

Lidda looked around the tree truck she'd stashed herself behind, hoping that the birds above her wouldn't give away her position. She watched as a man approached, and a she-elf.

She couldn't help but wonder if all creatures insisted on filling the silence with their own rambling thoughts, or if it was only the ones that were drawn to danger.

She had been hoping that her "fellow adventurers" she was scheduled to meet up with would come far enough apart that she might use some... Creative tactics to convince them one at a time to forget the quest and leave her without the tax of having to split the reward.

No matter. There were still one short. Perhaps splitting it three ways wouldn't be so bad. Especially if some of her companions coins were to become lost...

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

*Grumbles*

Post  IrritableNecromancerLenor on 2008-06-13, 5:43 pm

The Dwarven Cleric, Saeran, walked up to the other two. He muttered something. "You need not light a torch for me," he said, "I can see in the dark." He peered into the entryway, making sure that nothing was standing right there prepairing to rip their faces off.

IrritableNecromancerLenor

Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-06-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Entryway

Post  Dungeon Master on 2008-06-13, 7:00 pm

The entryway is empty, except for clutter. At the end of the entryway are double doors that lead further back into the cliff. The heavy wooden doors are shut tight.

Dungeon Master
Admin

Posts : 20
Join date : 2008-06-09

View user profile http://therpgsite.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lidda

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-13, 10:10 pm

Lidda gave a disgrunted sigh. So they all showed up. Well maybe it was for the best, she might need their help, after all. She made her pressence known, strolling casually around the trunk and into her party's pressence, as if she'd never been hiding to begin with.

"Well isn't that dandy, but who said anyone was planning on wasting one of their torches on you, anyway?" She said, barely audible as she withdrew a torch of her own to light. She'd save hers and use the light of the other one, but these talls ones always held them too high for her to see where she was going.

"Whelp. Let's get going on in, shall we?"

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ainra

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-13, 10:58 pm

Ainra tried to smile politely. Evidently the this halfling might be some one she had to keep her eye on as well. She opened her mouth to say something about being polite, or about being proud of each other's abilities, but it sounded odd and out of place so she chose silence.

Ainra went to reach in her pack like the others, then hesitated. She could use a light spell instead, it would cast a steadier aura, but it would drain her. She could use a torch but should she bother when two others had them lit? Assuming they weren't going to split up they'd be enough light. But she didn't want the others to think she was just going to rely on them and not help out with her own supplies, they might think she wouldn't deserve her share and she didn't want to waste all this time on nothing...

Before she made her mind up the short, rude little dark one looked as if she was starting to move forward into the cave and she quickly put her pack back where she held it before she got left behind.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Regdar

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-06-14, 6:22 pm

"I'm sure you don't need it, but my human eyes are not as good as dwarven ones." Regdar says with a smile. "Well, it seems everybody has arrived, so let's introduce ourselves. My name is Regdar." he adds, wearing his backpack again, and taking a look at his companions.

An elf, a hobbit and a dwarf, eh? Quite the eclectic party. Well, the more the merrier, I guess.

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

(( I was waiting for Len, but I guess I'll go)) Ainra, the Elf

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-16, 10:33 pm

Ainra smiled brightly at the human, relieved of the release of tension. "I'm enchanted to meet you, Redgar. I'm called Ainra." She hesitantly held out her right hand towards the man, as she'd seen humans do with one another before. "I promise to do my best to keep up safe while we are here.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lidda, the Halfling

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-16, 10:42 pm

Lidda decided to be polite enough to grace the others with looking up from her rummaging to grace the others with the gift of her gaze. Looking them all in their eyes, she smiled ruefully and said "I'm Lidda. It'll be a pleasure robbing this place with you all." She winked and resumed looking through the clutter surrounding the area. She examined a bottle that undoubtedly held one of the Alchemist's potions before his disappearance, but was empty now. She tossed it over her shoulder and, surprisingly, it crashed to the stone floor without shattering.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ainra

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-16, 10:46 pm

"We are- We are not robbing this place, we are helping the Baron recover his lost ring. The Kobolds stole it from him while he was traveling."

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lidda

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-16, 10:58 pm

Lidda laughed. "That's where you're wrong, my little elfie." She replied, with just the slightest hint of an emphasis on 'little'. "Just because they supposedly stole the ring from the Baron doesn't mean that taking it back is not also a theft." She smiled as she found something shiny amongst the rubble and tossed it in her pack too fast for anyone else to identify.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Regdar

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-06-17, 6:20 pm

"I can't see how returning a belonging to its rightful owner might be a theft." Regdar replied, feeling a bit insulted. "Anyway, nice to meet you, Lidda and Ainra." Regdar firmly shakes Ainra's hand, unaware that this gesture might be somewhat strange for a non-human.

Regdar then turns to the last party member: "And what about you, noble dwarf?"

**Off: I still can't believe I wrote 'hobbit' in my last post XD Too much LotR roleplaying =P **

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OOC

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-17, 8:00 pm

(( I was wondering about that... Lol, it's alright, though ))

(DM's Notes: Try to keep OOC to a minimum here, please.)

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Saeran

Post  tanabright on 2008-06-24, 10:36 pm

Saeran acknowledge each of the others as they introduced themselves. Who was really worthy to be here? Who was trustworthy? Who would last the whole journey? Surely the Halfling would have a challenge keeping up with the rest of them.

He turned his attention to the human, Redgar, and looking slightly up puffed his chest out slightly and stated: “I am Saeran. “

Leaving it at that he turned his attention back to the cave entrance speaking over his shoulder to the others: “The entrance looks safe enough, I can’t see anything forbidding near here.”

tanabright

Posts : 6
Join date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lidda

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-25, 7:04 pm

"Well mayhaps ya'aint seeing with both eyes then, human-boy." She paused for a moment to stare at the party, and then jumped up in exasperation. "Come on, everyone! Let's get a move on! The drawf says it's say, and that's good enough for me, grabs your torches and let's go!!" She moved her short little legs rapidly in what could only be rightfully called a jog and scampered off towards the stone doors, though wasn't any faster than what rapid walking would be to her team mates.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ainra

Post  KSypher on 2008-06-25, 7:16 pm

The elf couldn't help but wonder what made the halfling so jumpy, but she couldn't help but to take small rapid steps toward the doors as well, trying to stay within the glow of Lidda's torch, through she was slower because she was much more cautious where she placed her steps than the small one.

Though maybe Lidda just had an easier time seeing what was on the floor, being so much closer to it.

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Regdar

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-06-26, 4:37 pm

Regdar just lets off a heavy sigh, and follows the little one.

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dungeon

Post  KSypher on 2008-07-07, 9:23 am

The entryway is empty, except for clutter. At the end of the entryway are double doors that lead further back into the cliff. The heavy wooden doors are shut tight.

Lidda and Ainra reached the large double doors at the same time- Ainra was trying to follow Lidda and probably would have ran into the door if she hadn't seen Lidda stop because she was focused on the ground she was stepping on more than what lay in front of her.

She reached out to put her on the doorhandle (as surely the Lidda wouldn't be able to reach it) with the intention of waiting for the rest of her party caught up with her before opening it.

Her small pale hand was already half the distance between her side and the door before she realized there was no handle to grasp at all, so she settled for running her fingers along the wood in the hopes of finding a hidden latch.

Ainra looked at the halfing, hoping she had an explanation. Lidda looked right back up at Ainra- she didn't have a clue. Lidda held her torch closer to the doors, looking in all the crevases of the intricate wood pattern for something that would provide a hint, but had no luck.

Maybe Regdar or Saeran had a clue?

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dungeon

Post  tanabright on 2008-07-08, 6:03 pm

Saeran watched as the halfling scampered down the tunnel followed closely by the elf who had chosen to not light a torch. The human kinda wandered into the tunnel after the females and Saeran followed planting his steps heavily and looking at those doors. Heavy doors. No door handles. hmm...

"Well this is interesting."

Saeran looks at the doors looking for words or symbols, something to give a clue as to how to get through them.

"Do you see anything helpful? or should we just bash it in?" Saeran says addressing the group and crossing his arms.

tanabright

Posts : 6
Join date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Regdar

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-07-14, 6:17 pm

"Well, I don't see other way in." Regdar says. He takes off his backpack, and studies the door.

"It seems pretty sturdy, but I think we both might be able to open it." He says to the dwarf, and gets ready to push the door.

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Entryway

Post  Dungeon Master on 2008-07-16, 6:28 pm

(DM's Notes: There are handles on the door. They are locked. I'm sorry for not posting this sooner, everyone.)

Dungeon Master
Admin

Posts : 20
Join date : 2008-06-09

View user profile http://therpgsite.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dungeon

Post  KSypher on 2008-07-21, 11:03 am

(( When I have trouble coming up with a post I often copy the setting into my post, so I can see it while I write, then delete it before actually posting. I forgot to delete it last time, in case you're wondering why my last post begins with the previous DM post... ))

Ainra looked at Redgar. "Push? I don't think I have the strength to be very helpful at any attempt to-" Dispite her words, Ainra had positioned herself to both be out of the way of the stronger team members and to help as little as she could. When she had leaned against the door with her palms, however, she wound up catching some sort of latch, maybe pushing a button... However it happened, there was the sound of wood moving and then the door handles appearing in the intricate pattern.

It was if they had been there all along.

"Well then. There we go, we'll just open... the door... like... normal." The pauses in her speech were filled with the sounds of effort as she grasped the first handle with first one hand, then both, and tried to pry them open. They didn't budge. "Well then..."



As the pathetically thin-armed elf trailed off, Lidda pushed her aside (a feat no one ever seemed to expect from one half their size,) and jumped up to pulled the handles herself. She had the upper body strength to open these giant doors... She grunted as she braced her feet against the doors and tugged as hard as she could....

Nothing happened. Lidda had to do a sort of back flip to dimount safely. She looked at the other half of the party. "Well don't just let us women do all the work, do something!"

KSypher

Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-06-09
Age : 31
Location : New Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Regdar

Post  TheOverlord on 2008-07-21, 4:39 pm

"Well, maybe if the women let we do our work, instead of jumping in, we could work this better." Regdar says, while moving toward the door. He grasps the door handle with his two hands and pulls with all his strength.

The doors do not budge under Lidda's or Regdar's arms. They are made of very thick and heavy oak. The hinges are not viewable from this side of the doors, making it impossible to open them by pulling, even if they were not locked.

TheOverlord

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-06-11
Age : 31
Location : Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dungeon

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum